Thursday, October 6, 2011

Artist Pages

For all of you creatives out there. I have to share something that I have found to be Amazeballs!! 
Over years and years of perusing wonderful blogs I have often found other brilliant artist and bloggers refer to "The Artist's Way,  A spiritual path to higher creativity" by Julia Cameron. 

 

Run...to get a copy...Run I tell you....  It has been life changing in the creative sense.  I have not even finished the book yet but let me tell you a little bit about one of the exercises that has really worked for me. 


She calls them the Artist Pages. 


She asks that you get a plain spiral notebook and write 3 pages. 3 pages of freestyle, anything goes material once a day.  Her idea is that when you begin your day this way, the mind clutter will begin to unfold and it will free your mind and allow you to focus on the things you should be focusing on.  We tend to let the noise of our lives cloud our creativity as well as our objectivity.


I have to admit 3 pages doesn't seem like a lot until you try to think of things to write everyday.  However, I am realizing that my mind is so much clearer when I'm done.  I think we all hold little things in our minds that stress us out and we don't even know it.  Whether it's jotting things down, random questions you need answers to, things you need to fix in the house or appointments you need to make for the kids.  Writing all of these things down really helps so much. 


I also do this with my prayer journals.  Writing all the concerns down in the morning really helps me focus my day on the right things. 


I just love to journal period.  Art Journaling is huge for me, but I'll save that for another post.  :)


Hope everyone has a great day!

No comments: